Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Today's Track - Wednesday, June 4

Scotland Yard Gospel Choir - I Never Thought I Could Feel This Way For a Boy

SYGC Album Cover

Scotland Yard Gospel Choir first caught my ear this past winter when their song "Aspidistra" found it's way onto my bi-weekly mix CDs. I think I first found them on My Old Kentucky Blog or WOXY or one of the blogs out there that invite up and coming acts into the studio for a live session. Crazy name aside, this band is easy to remember.

SYGC (because the full name is just too long to keep typing) are a chamber pop-meets-folk band with an uncountable number of musicians that contribue their uniqueness to the overall sound. They churn out little pop gems that set stuck in my head anytime they cue up on my iPod. But they aren't from the British Isle (they're from Chicago,) they have nothing to do with law enforcement (in fact they used to buy drugs as explained in "Aspidistra,") and they sound less like a choir and more like a southern hoe-dwon, jam band.

Lead singer and songwriter Elia Einhorn crafts brilliantly inciteful and entertaining songs about drug rendevous and sexual identity and I suspect he has a whole lot more where those came from. These guys are DEFINITELY a band to watch out for.

Scotland Yard Gospel Choir

if you are SYGC (whoa!) or their people and you want the track taken down, just let me know and I’ll be happy to oblige.

No comments: