Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Today's Track - Tuesday, June 3

Jennifer Hudson - Spotlight

click here to be taken to the song

Spotlight single cover

Jennifer Hudson rocks my world. I can't wait to hearing her debut album this fall, so when I found out she was about to put out her first single I got really amped. "Spotlight" is a mid-tempo, R&B track that finds J-Hud lamenting about being stuck in a relationship with a man that wants to keep her all to himself. The lyrics are nothing special, but it is pretty catchy just the same. The background "hoo-hoo's" remind me of early, stripped down Whitney Houston. Hudson does a perfectly good job of getting across the emotion of the song, but I really wish she had sung it with a little more attitude. She should really be givin' it to this man, telling him why she can't stand to be under his thumb - but instead she's just sort of complaining about it and letting it go...

I get trying to distance herself from the Effie White persona from Dreamgirls, and that if she came across too diva on this track she'd risk drawing comparisons, but frankly, the comparisons are going to come - and if her people wanted to avoid 'em, they should have released an uptempo summer jam as the first single and bypassed the whole angry lover route all together.

Even without the passion I expect from Hudson, "Spotlight" is still a favorite track of mine right now because I simply love listening to her sing. Can't wait to see what else her new album has in store on September 30th.

if you are Jennifer Hudson (whoa!) or her people and you want the track taken down, just let me know and I’ll be happy to oblige.

No comments: