Monday, May 26, 2008

Where I (incorrectly, no doubt) predict the future

I'm a huge tennis fan, so I'm excited that we've entered Grand Slam season. The 2008 French Open is underway and here's my take:

MEN'S DRAW

rafael NADAL.

Nadal

I don't see anyone other than Rafa winning this tournament this year. Clay is his surface and he's money at big events. This championship is his until he packs it in.

roger FEDERER.

Federer

Rodge doesnt quite seem to be having his normal ironman, banner type season. I'd love to see him complete his career slam and take this year's French since the pressure of him getting a calendar slam is gone (he lost this year's Aussie to Novak Djokovic) but I just don't see it happening this year. He's looked a little tried, been a little hurt and will have to take out Rafa to do it and right now Rafa is too good.

novak DJOKOVIC.

Djokovic

The French is always exciting because it's the key slam that determines if a player can score the calendar grand slam. For that to happen in '08 Djokovic will have to keep the momentum going and win his first french. I'd consider him a strong challenger, but I'd put him in third position to Rafa and Rodge.

I'd be pretty surprised to see any of these three men missing from the final four, but who'll round out the semis? It would have to be someone from #4 seed Nikolay Davydenko's portion of the draw. The Russian is always a contender, but i'm going with...

david FERRER.

Ferrer

He'll have to get through Tommy Robredo to get there, but clay is a good surface for him and he's got a decent draw. In the days before the Nadal dominance solid, but unproven Spanish and Argentine players were always the guys to watch and so, I still enjoy watching them play on the clay. Ferrer gets my vote over Robredo because he just beat Tommy in Barcelona and Tommy doesnt have a tournament win in 2008.

No comments: