Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Today's Track - Wednesday, May 28

Rilo Kiley - Silver Lining

click here to be taken to the song

Rilo Kiley cover

Rilo Kiley got a lot of flack in my circle of friends for putting out a CD like Under the Blacklight, but the more I thought about it, the more I think we were wrong. Since the release of More Adventurous I have been in love with Jenny Lewis’s mix of indie rock and alt. country and the dainty, cute, deeply longing tone in her voice. I went back and researched the band’s first two albums, and loved each of them equally. When UTB was released I was excited for new material, but worried that since the album had been recorded as the first in a deal with Warner Brothers, that it was going to be glossy, overproduced major label crap.

…and I was half right.

The album is definitely an overproduced mess - but the heart and soul of what made Rilo

Kiley my favorite indie band in the land was still there. Jenny’s ability to write quirky, almost childlike lyrics that deal with real adult situations, Blake’s sexy, brooding guitar, and the band’s ability to write music that makes you want to smile and sometimes cry at the same time is still front and center.

I stand by my belief that if this had been released on Barsuk or Saddle Creek it would sound more “indie” or more “rilo” but ultimately they were trying to get their music out to a larger audience and took their tunes to a major…so what? As long as they don’t make another song like “Moneymaker” they’re still alright by me.

Watch the video (and look for Blake's cute ass sitting on top of Jenny's piano...awww)

if you are Rilo Kiley (whoa!) or their people and you want the track taken down, just let me know and I’ll be happy to oblige.


No comments: